[tor-dev] [Tails-dev] Aspirant for Tor Summer of Privacy ( for Improving Tails)

intrigeri intrigeri at boum.org
Tue Apr 7 12:09:26 UTC 2015

Hi,

Saket Sinha wrote (06 Apr 2015 18:57:47 GMT) :
> I would like to participate to Tor Summer of Privacy by contributing
> to "Improve Tails by working on Debian".

> I have worked on Debian packaging and  build systems and find this project a
> match for my technical skills.

Great!

I have to say it comes as a surprise for me, since I didn't realize
that the SoP homepage [0] pointed to Tor's projects page [1], that
indeed lists Tails. Given that, depending on what exact project you
want to work on, we may be in a position to find a mentor for you on
our team, or not. I hope it'll work, but sadly, I doubt we'll be able
to clarify this before you have told us what exactly you would like to
work on.

> Kindly let me know how to go ahead with this.

Please:

1. Read the SoP homepage [0] entirely. It actually answers this
   question of yours.

2. Come up with a great project. Once you have an idea or two, feel
   free to come discuss it on tails-dev at boum.org: we can help you
   adjust it to better match your skills and desires, and the Tails
   project's current needs.

3. Send your application as instructed on that page. When you'll do
   that, please Cc tails at boum.org (our core team's private
   loop. Please include as much specifics as you can regarding your
   past experience with Debian packaging and build systems (pointers
   to actual VCS repositories and code would help).

Also:

 * Was your GSoC application with CentOS accepted?

 * At some point, I'd like to be put in touch with the mentor(s) you
   had when you were working with CERN during GSoC 2013. This can wait
   until you've reached step #2 as described above.

[0] https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/org/TorSoP
[1] https://www.torproject.org/getinvolved/volunteer.html.en#Projects

Regards,
--