[tor-dev] Should popularity-hiding be a security property of hidden services?

David Stainton dstainton415 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 3 16:07:21 UTC 2015

Hi George,

I read your post. I am a hidden service operator... and I feel
strongly that hiding popularity is in fact an anonymity property...
and security property. I also wonder if it's even possible to fully
hide popularity. I suggest we try to hide popularity at least until we
understand more about it and how to properly design hidden services.
(don't disallow what you cannot prevent philosophy)

You mention the "normal Internet" several times in your post...
positing that it's not possible to discover popularity. I'd like to
point out that your upstream ISP would have a solid notion of weather
or not your were operating a popular website... and by the way so
would xkeyscore most likely (you know... the single most important
revelation from the Snowden documents).

cheers,

David