[tor-dev] Scaling tor for a global population

Mike Perry mikeperry at torproject.org
Tue Sep 30 23:20:07 UTC 2014

isis:
> Moritz Bartl transcribed 0.5K bytes:
> > Raising the limit from 2 relays per IP to x per IP has been discussed in the
> > past and would be an easy change.
>
> We *still* have that limit? I thought we killed it a long time ago.
>
> Can we kill it now? It's not going to do anything to prevent Sybils, it'll
> only prevent good relay operators on larger machines from giving more
> bandwidth.

If not kill it, raising it to 4-8 might make more sense and be a good
interim step.

We could lower it again if we have real multicore support (which I still
think we should aim for because it also improves the mix properties of
fast relays to an external observer, but I realize is no small task).

--
Mike Perry