[tor-dev] Scaling tor for a global population

Mike Perry mikeperry at torproject.org
Sat Sep 27 00:33:39 UTC 2014

Fabio Pietrosanti (naif):
> Il 9/26/14, 4:58 PM, Andrew Lewman ha scritto:
> > They very much like Tor Browser and would like to ship it to their
> > customer base. Their product is 10-20% of the global market, this is of
> > roughly 2.8 billion global Internet users.
> ..... WOW! .....

Presumably this vendor would not have all of their users using all Tor
all the time with no other browser option.

> > Is there a better list available for someone new to Tor to read up on
> > the scalability challenges?
> As a basic concept, i don't think that Tor could scale up to huge
> numbers without making the end-user to became active part of the network
> routing.

No, this would not work. We cannot make use of tons of junk relays in
the current Tor network. See my other reply.

What would work is an optional mode where the users only use the Private
Browser when they need it. For example, if 5% of these 2.8 billion users
decides to use the browser on a given day, that is something we can
handle, if they helped pay for or add the network capacity for these
users somehow. :)

We could also handle controlled rollouts to fractions of their userbase
to test the waters, and slowly add high capacity nodes to the network to
support these new users, to ensure we have the people ready to accept
payment for running the servers, and maintain diversity.

--
Mike Perry