[tor-dev] Scaling tor for a global population

Thomas White thomaswhite at riseup.net
Fri Sep 26 20:31:28 UTC 2014

I think one of the important thoughts here, at least as an exit
operator is that having a large group like that can significantly
influence how Tor is seen and I am sure having that kind of backing
could open many avenues for us.

If we are to scale up, we can reduce CPU load (or optimise) per node
or we can have more ISPs who welcome Tor. I think whilst there are
lots of great people doing fantastic work expanding the ISP's who
accept Tor, we need to perhaps revisit those ISP's who have shown to
be hostile towards us. Do you believe this person or group could
assist in perhaps pursuading ISP's to open up to Tor exit operators
like myself?

If they are willing to offer their name as a backing, I'd be more than
happy to dedicate myself for many hours per week to get in touch with
ISP's and try to change their policies. If we see much success, I can
easily co-ordinate a revamp of the good/bad ISP list which has become
a bit messy over the last few months. Given the sheer volume of
traffic my exits have pushed (Petabytes a month), the amount of abuse
complaints I've had and even police raids I am quite comfortable
giving ISP's the honest picture. Some won't open up even with major
backing but I am sure we can convince some to change their policies
when they see and hear from the actual operators who aren't in prison
(since many of them seem to equate running Tor exits to being a
criminal or a guaranteed way to get in trouble with the police).

- -T