[tor-dev] Attack linking Tor circuits

Otto Huhta otto.huhta at gmail.com
Fri Sep 19 20:54:52 UTC 2014

Hello Paul,

Nice to hear the issue and our work is of interest to you. I see you
already noted the link to my full thesis, but meanwhile I can already
answer your question about using somewhat overlapping circuits. This was
indeed not considered in the thesis but is something I've have been
thinking of in the past few weeks. The method considered was along the
lines what you propose, where the client would choose at random if to
assign a new stream to an older or a fresher circuit. The old circuit would
be kept open, as you propose, for a randomized period of time. This would
smoothen the transition from a circuit to another one and should make it
much more difficult / impossible to use this as a distinguishing feature.
Combined with randomizing the circuit lifetimes, it's likely this
would sufficiently negate the attack. The downside I see is that you spend
slightly more resources building overlapping circuits, but I can't say if
it would have any significant impact on the relays.
I'm under the impression some work is already underway to randomize the
circuit lifetimes, is this correct?

- Otto