[tor-dev] Call for a big fast bridge (to be the meek backend)

David Fifield david at bamsoftware.com
Tue Sep 16 02:12:23 UTC 2014

The meek pluggable transport is currently running on the bridge I run,
which also happens to be the backend bridge for flash proxy. I'd like to
move it to a fast relay run by an experienced operator. I want to do
this both to diffuse trust, so that I don't run all the infrastructure,
and because my bridge is not especially fast and I'm not especially
adept at performance tuning.

All you will need to do is run the meek-server program, add some lines
to your torrc, and update the software when I ask you to. The more CPU,
memory, and bandwidth you have, the better, though at this point usage
is low enough that you won't even notice it if you are already running a
fast relay. I think it will help if your bridge is located in the U.S.,
because that reduces latency from Google App Engine.

The meek-server plugin is basically just a little web server:
https://gitweb.torproject.org/pluggable-transports/meek.git/tree/HEAD:/meek-server

Since meek works differently than obfs3, for example, it doesn't help us
to have hundreds of medium-fast bridges. We need one (or maybe two or
three) big fat fast relays, because all the traffic that is bounced
through App Engine or Amazon will be pointed at it.

My PGP key is at https://www.bamsoftware.com/david/david.asc if you want
to talk about it.

David Fifield