[tor-dev] Debian popcon as a vulnerability?

Griffin Boyce griffin at cryptolab.net
Sat Sep 13 23:17:11 UTC 2014

Hello all!

   I am wondering whether to force-uninstall Debian's popularity-contest
package as part of Stormy's installation process. It would be good to
have an idea how popular Stormy is, but on the other hand, I'm not sure
how anonymous the reporting is on Debian's end.

   This is also relevant for users of the tor package, who might also be
at mild risk (though far less so because the number of users is so high,
and doesn't reveal location of location-hidden services).

   Anyone have opinions on this? I'm leaning towards checking if
popularity-contest is installed and then asking if the user would like
it to be removed.  If y'all have other recommendations, please comment
here or on the ticket.

Ticket: https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/13154

thanks!
Griffin

--
"I believe that usability is a security concern; systems that do
not pay close attention to the human interaction factors involved