[tor-dev] Symlink to latest sources

Roger Dingledine arma at mit.edu
Mon Sep 8 22:25:24 UTC 2014

On Mon, Sep 08, 2014 at 12:09:31PM -0400, Peter Swire wrote:
> Dear Tor-dev,
>
> On the dist page ( https://www.torproject.org/dist/ ) all the sources are
> listed by version number.  It would be awesome if there was a symlink to
> the latest stable release, called something like "tor-latest.tar.gz"
>
> On some other projects, e.g. gnu parallel ( http://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/parallel/ )
> do this.

Hi Peter,

So far we have avoided doing this approach, since it increases the number
of user support cases where we ask "what version?" and they say "latest"
because their file name doesn't actually tell them what version it is.

I guess we could try adding the symlink but then never tell anybody
about it, in hopes that users will keep downloading the files that have
version numbers in their names.

What problem are you trying to solve?

--Roger