[tor-dev] GetTor development status

ilv ilv at riseup.net
Thu Oct 30 01:47:36 UTC 2014

Hi people.

We've been working very hard to get GetTor deployed as soon as possible.
Meanwhile, I'd like to tell you what we've been up to.

1) Changed from logging quite a bit of stuff, to not logging at all.
GetTor actually creates log files, but they remain empty. We'll see what
we need to log on the way.

2) Changed from keeping stats about the requests (os, locale, etc) to
just keep a counter to know how many requests we've received so far. The
only exception is with some info necessary to avoid flood, namely: the
hashed user, number of requests for that user and the last time that
user made a request. All of this is stored in a SQLite database.

3) For now we'll only send Dropbox links. We now use long urls with the
?dl=1 prefix to automatically download the file, instead of the old
short urls used (during the revamp). You can see an example of what urls
should be sent on [1]. We hope to implement other providers in the
future. We'll need an official Dropbox account for this, this is one of
the things we're waiting to deploy.

4) You can check a template of the message that should be sent when
sending the links on [2], under the "links_msg" msgid. The interpolated
info is: operating system,  locale, the links (see [1] for links
format). We're working on making this as usable as possible, so any
thought on this is very welcome!

5) I still have pending an script to synchronize with the latest version
of TBB on dist.tp.o and upload that to Dropbox. Help here is very
welcome too.

I think that is for now. Any comment/feedback is welcome. If you have
any crazy ideas about new ways to distribute the TBB with GetTor, please
tell us. I have created two files in the Github repo: providers [3] and
distribution_methods [4]. Make a pull request if you're feeling inspired
:)

[1] https://github.com/ileiva/gettor/blob/master/providers/dropbox.links
[2]
https://github.com/ileiva/gettor/blob/master/lang/smtp/i18n/en/LC_MESSAGES/en.po