[tor-dev] Potential projects for SponsorR (Hidden Services)

str4d str4d at i2pmail.org
Tue Oct 21 06:57:19 UTC 2014

George Kadianakis wrote:
> == Opt-in HS indexing service ==
>
> This seems like a fun project that can be used in various ways in
> the future. Of course, the feature must remain opt-in so that only
>  services that want to be public will surface.
>
> For this project, we could make some sort of 'HS authority' which
> collects HS information (the HS descriptor?) from volunteering
> HSes. It's unclear who will run an HS authority; maybe we can work
>  with ahmia so that they integrate it in their infrastructure?
>
> If we are more experimental, we can even build a basic petname
> system using the HS authority [2]. Maybe just a "simple" NAME <->
> PUBKEY database where HSes can register themselves in a FIFO
> fashion. This might cause tons of domain camping and attempts for
> dirty sybil attacks, but it might develop into something useful.
> Worst case we can shut it down and call the experiment done?
> AFAIK, I2P has been doing something similar at
> https://geti2p.net/en/docs/naming

We have been running our petname system for at least five years
(probably longer), mostly without incident. The above linked page
covers details of the current system; see [0] for a (slightly dated)
more general discussion of the reasons behind the I2P naming system,
common arguments and possible alternatives.

We have also started looking at GNS as an option[1,2]. I like the
concept, and the ability for users to easily control their own domain
name zones, which replaces the problem of a user losing their
Destination keys (.onion equivalent) down to only needing to securely
maintain their zone key. But the UI/UX needs vast improvement if
everyday users are to understand it, and we need to research the
trade-offs carefully. I am happy to discuss this further if anyone is
interested, because a combined / general approach would benefit
multiple networks.

str4d

[0] https://geti2p.net/en/docs/discussions/naming
[1] http://zzz.i2p/topics/1545 (in I2P)