[tor-dev] Building TOR using Visual Studio

Adam Shostack adam at shostack.org
Sat Oct 18 16:20:45 UTC 2014

On Sat, Oct 18, 2014 at 03:29:51PM +1100, teor wrote:

| On 18 Oct 2014, at 13:29 , tor-dev-request at lists.torproject.org wrote:
| > Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2014 22:29:02 -0400
| > From: Nick Mathewson <nickm at freehaven.net>
| > To: tor-dev at lists.torproject.org
| > Subject: Re: [tor-dev] Building TOR using Visual Studio
|
| >  * Some people want to use paid versions of Visual Studio, and have
| > paid for a version earlier than VS2013, and don't want to pay for a
| > newer one.  I sympathize with this: I've been on paid upgrade
| > treadmills myself, and it's always tempting to save money by skipping
| > steps in the upgrade treadmill.  I've even paid for commercial
| > compilers in my misspent youth.
|
| Are there no-cost, non-license-restricted compilers available for Windows that support C99?
|
| This could be a way out for those who don't wish to pay for the VS 2013 upgrade.

Depending on what you mean by "non-license-restricted", Visual Studio
Express may fit the bill.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Visual_Studio_Express
http://www.visualstudio.com/downloads/download-visual-studio-vs

Others have brought up mingw, I'm not sure how many of the security
features included in the Visual Studio toolchain (such as ASLR, DEP
and SEH) are available when building with mingw.

Adam