[tor-dev] Is PublishServerDescriptor needed to collect metrics?

isis isis at torproject.org
Thu Oct 16 07:06:30 UTC 2014

Roger Dingledine transcribed 1.0K bytes:
> On Mon, Oct 13, 2014 at 09:44:24PM -0700, David Fifield wrote:
> > Is there a way to send
> > metrics data without also ending up in BridgeDB?
>
> Alas, not currently. That's because the metrics data is a side effect
> of the bridge authority / bridgedb data flow.
>
> Your best bet at a short-term hack might be to add a line to the
> descriptor which politely asks bridgedb not to give its address out.

Interesting idea...

Would this help Metrics produce more accurate data for the bridges which are
built into Tor Browsers (but absent from BridgeDB)? Is there another use case?

Also, with that setting, we could consider doing something like #4026, [0]
except have the info specified in the descriptor. Something like:

  BridgeDistribution [email]|[https]|[none]|[any]

[0]: https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/4026

--
 ♥Ⓐ isis agora lovecruft