[tor-dev] Potential projects for SponsorR (Hidden Services)

A. Johnson aaron.m.johnson at nrl.navy.mil
Thu Nov 27 02:08:07 UTC 2014

I agree as well and have discussed this use case with NRL colleagues for a while now. Some thoughts that we have had:
  1. “Encrypted service” is a terrible name because it sounds like its only providing encryption and also is too generic. The idea needs a name that communicates that it is different from location-hidden services. Some ideas: “Tor-only service”, “Tor-aware service”, “Tor client-protected service”, and all of the preceding with “onion” in place of “Tor”. I’ll use “Tor-only service”.
  2. Providing a Tor-only service would split the current anonymity set of hidden services to anybody that can distinguish such connections. Using timing and packet counting, this should be possible for any relay on the path between client and service, including especially the client’s guard.
  3. A Tor-only service could actually use the fact that it’s location is not hidden for good: it could choose to place servers in strategic locations so that users could pick the ones that put them an minimum risk for traffic correlation, for example, by placing servers in a location with good rule of law and data privacy regulations.

Cheers,
Aaron