[tor-dev] Potential projects for SponsorR (Hidden Services)

Fabio Pietrosanti - lists lists at infosecurity.ch
Tue Nov 25 16:40:31 UTC 2014

On 10/20/14 3:37 PM, George Kadianakis wrote:
> Hello,
>
> this is an attempt to collect tasks that should be done for
> SponsorR. You can find the SponsorR page here:
> https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/org/sponsors/SponsorR
[snip]

> == Performance Improvements ==
>
> This is the most juicy section. How can we make HS performance better?
> IIUC, we are mainly interested in client-side performance, but if a
> change makes both sides faster that's even better.

I suggest to consider also the so-called Tor2webMode to became a
standard part of Tor as a way to improve Tor Hidden Services.

While Tor2web Mode has born with the goal to reduce the number of hops
for a Tor client used together with Tor2web software, it can provide
great benefit also for TorHS owner.

A TorHS owner MAY wish to be hidden in their location or not.

If a TorHS owner enable Tor2web Mode, then it's assumed that he don't
want "location anonymity" while preserving all other properties of TorHS
(link-level encryption, self-authenticating URI, etc).

With latest improvements of #12844 the performance of Tor2web Mode will
be even better.

For TorHS like Facebook or other resources that *does not need* location
anonymity, having shorter circuit is a great performance improvement
either in latency either in bandwidth.

I would suggest/consider to introduce Tor2web mode (or something called
differently) to be usable on stock Tor software, to enable quick
optimization of TorHS owner that need performance by scarifying location
anonymity .

--
Fabio Pietrosanti (naif)
HERMES - Center for Transparency and Digital Human Rights