[tor-dev] high latency hidden services

George Kadianakis desnacked at riseup.net
Tue Nov 25 12:45:18 UTC 2014

Michael Rogers <michael at briarproject.org> writes:

> On 09/11/14 18:33, Mansour Moufid wrote:
>> Has there been research on integrating high-latency message
>> delivery protocols with the hidden service model of location
>> hiding?  The SecureDrop or Pynchon Gate protocols sound like good
>> starting points. I would love to participate, and encourage
>> everyone to start in this direction (in your copious free time ;).
>
> This issue has just come up on the guardian-dev list, so we're moving
> the conversation over here. Context quoted below.

Yes, integrating low-latency with high-latency anonymity is a very
interesting probleml. Unfortunately, I haven't had any time to think
about it.

For people who want to think about it there is the "Blending different
latency traffic with alpha-mixing" paper. Roger mentioned that one of
the big challenges of making the paper usable with Tor, is switching
from the message-based approach to stream-based.

Other potential papers are "Stop-and-Go-MIX" by Kesdogan et al. and
"Garbled Routing (GR): A generic framework towards unification of
anonymous communication systems" by Madani et al. But I haven't looked
into them at all...

Another interesting question IMO, is whether we can build wrappers so
that we can do WWW/XMPP/etc. over higher-latency anonymity systems.

If anyone wants to do some research and present some preliminary
results or ideas here, it would be awesome. We can also turn it into a
blog post for blog.torproject.org if it's good!