[tor-dev] How to distribute Tor with other software

David Stainton dstainton415 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 21 06:33:32 UTC 2014

Greetings,

olde thread resurrection:

Earlier Meejah pointed out that the tor control port can be used to create tor hidden services.
Now that tor trac ticket #11291 (https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/11291) is resolved this will actually be usable?

There are deployment issues. The program must run as a user who is a member of the tor group in order to read the hostname file
and thus retrieve the onion address. With the current upstream master tor you can use the HiddenServiceDirGroupReadable option, like this:

SETCONF hiddenservicedir=/var/lib/tor-alpha-hidden-services/hiddenService01 hiddenserviceport="80 127.0.0.1:8080" HiddenServiceDirGroupReadable=1

This should result in the hostname file being readable by the tor group.

Is anyone else working on tor hidden service file sharing and or tor controller written in golang?

I've implemented a golang api for creating and destroying tor hidden services using the control port...
and a golang commandline tool for sharing directories via http + tor hidden service similar to carml pastebin or onionshare.

If we write these tools in golang then we can use a deterministic build system much like the recent
gitian golang deterministic builds for golang pluggable transports.

Cheers,

David