[tor-dev] high latency hidden services

Mansour Moufid mansourmoufid at gmail.com
Sun Nov 9 18:33:27 UTC 2014

Hi everyone,

Operation Onymous, the anecdotes about it (I don't think the DoS was a
DoS), the wording of the related legal documents, and the previous CMU
research... make me think that traffic confirmation attacks are now
widely used in practice.  Other, cat-and-mouse implemetation
vulnerabilities may be diversions or parallel construction.

This kind of attack would mean it's game over for HS that use HTTP or
other low-latency protocols.

Has there been research on integrating high-latency message delivery
protocols with the hidden service model of location hiding?  The
SecureDrop or Pynchon Gate protocols sound like good starting points.
I would love to participate, and encourage everyone to start in this
direction (in your copious free time ;).

Mansour