[tor-dev] On the visualization of OONI bridge reachability data

isis isis at torproject.org
Sun Nov 2 20:49:37 UTC 2014

Matthew Finkel transcribed 1.6K bytes:
> On Sat, Oct 25, 2014 at 01:01:52PM +0200, Karsten Loesing wrote:
> > On 24/10/14 01:53, isis wrote:
> > > isis transcribed 6.6K bytes:
> > >
> > > Actually, my apologies, I was quite tired when I wrote this and totally
> > > completely wrong.
> > >
> > > A hashed ip:port would be a terrible idea because IPv4 space is only 2^32 and
> > > ports are 2^16. In total that's a 2^48 message space. Hashing for a preimage
> > > to get the bridge addresses in quite feasible in those constaints, as well as
> > > precomputing the attack offline.
> > >
> > > We should come up with a different way to hide ip:ports.
> >
> > I'm lacking context, but just in case this is even remotely relevant,
> > here's how CollecTor sanitizes bridge IP addresses:
> >
> > https://collector.torproject.org/formats.html#bridge-descriptors
>
> Yes, this is very relevant, thanks! Currently our plan involves
> keying the JSON dataset using unsanitized "IP Address:port" internally
> and the sanitized public version will replace this key with
> H(H(fingerprint)). This seems like the easiest way to avoid the
> problem of leaking the IP address.
>
> At this point, we don't think we need an IP address in the resulting
> dataset, so a unique, linkable fingerprint seems sufficient. If we
> find that IP addresses are useful then Collector's algorithm seems like
> a good starting point.

I agree that we could probably do without any IP:port information in the
resulting reports.  The hashed fingerprint is enough for BridgeDB to deduce a
bridge's IP:ports; it should also be enough for Metrics to deduce which bridge
a particular set of additional reachability information concerns, without
needing to do any additional processing of either the IP:ports or the
fingerprints.

With respect to CollecTor's algorithms for sanitising bridge IP:ports (should
we decide to instead keep the bridge address information in OONI's bridge
reachability reports and wish to sanitise those reports), Robert Ransom spoke
with me on the 24th of October, and made the following points and suggestions:

Robert Ransom transcribed 1.0K bytes:

--
 ♥Ⓐ isis agora lovecruft