[tor-dev] wfpadtools: comments about primitives

Yawning Angel yawning at schwanenlied.me
Fri May 30 19:10:52 UTC 2014

On Fri, 30 May 2014 20:40:07 +0200
Marc Juarez <Marc.JuarezMiro at esat.kuleuven.be> wrote:
> >> 4. Implement the protocol's handshake.
> >>
> >> I took a look to the Scramblesuit's handshake.The handshake of this
> >> protocol would boil down to the negotiation of the parameters
> >> (e.g., probability distributions) for the padding.
> >>

> > In the end, I think this handshake will need to be confidential
> > (encrypted) somehow. Otherwise, the adversary could read the
> > probability distributions and unwrap your padding layer more
> > easily. Or is this not in your threat model?
>
> Yes, you're right. However, I think we shouldn't overlap too much with
> Scramblesuit. I was thinking that Scramblesuit or obfs3 could be used
> together with this PT. Actually this is a question I wanted to ask
> you: can multiple PTs be used together? Except for the overhead of the
> protocol headers I don't see any technical limitation.

Not as well as we would like.  Further improving our designs for
combining PTs and adding an implementation is one of our GSOC projects
this year though.

My 0.02 dogecoin here would be to say "the PT combiner will fix it, so
eventually we could do wfpadtools + obfs3/obfs4/scramblesuit/meek/fte
and get the added defenses without (many? any?) code changes.

Regards,

--
Yawning Angel