[tor-dev] How to distribute Tor with other software

grarpamp grarpamp at gmail.com
Tue May 27 06:45:57 UTC 2014

On Tue, May 20, 2014 at 8:38 PM, Micah Lee <micah at micahflee.com> wrote:
> I just wrote a little program called OnionShare, that makes it simple to
> share a file securely using a password-protected Tor hidden service:
> https://github.com/micahflee/onionshare

Seeing the examples on that page, why you're not simply
making the GET /hash in the url be the hash of the file itself.
If not behind a location anon system it may help hide in a
tiny way. But we are anon, so making easier for the requestor to
not download the same hash as is already on their filesystem
again, perhaps they got from elsewhere, etc, would make more
sense. A bunch of people all sharing different apparent hash
links (to the same thing they all host), on say IRC mob,
seems wasteful and/or confusing. Even if presented filename
index is the same. It would avoid needing to load that.

Or you are trying to give a one-time unique hash to a
user, but then the server should instead shut down after
the first DL to ensure [1] this. [1] only so far as you really
know what that user/system does with the link after you
give it out, leave keyboard, etc.

So probably some options and new defaults to add.