[tor-dev] Code review request for bug #9701

Ken Keys kenkeys at comcast.net
Thu May 15 17:28:16 UTC 2014

On 5/15/2014 9:38 AM, michael at schloh.com wrote:
> Hello list,
>
> If anybody's feeling particularly friendly, then it would be nice of
> you to do the favour of reviewing the proposed solution to bug #9701:

> It relates to clipboard turds of the Tor Browser in violation of
> the premise of disk avoidance by design. The code in question is
> attached to the bug report.
>
> Georg (GK) has signalled interest, in case you want to coordinate.
>
> Thanks in advance!
>
> Cheers,
> Michael

protocol is for this type of response. I have a couple of concerns about
this proposed change.

1. Some versions of the SunOS--maybe Solaris too, I'm not sure--had a
provision where you could copy text without any explicit clip board
action. You could just select the text and middle click in the
destination. Will this change break that behavior or are these systems
still supported?

2. My second concern is a style issue. If I read msvb-9701.diff
correctly, you propose to just comment out the offending code with a
preprocessor directive. I, along with others who are more knowledgeable,
think that this process is bad form. It tends to leave the source code
cluttered with a great deal of non-functioning code. While it is
worthwhile to preserve the history, that is what source code control
systems are for.

Regards

Ken Keys