[tor-dev] TBB: default setting for security.tls.version.max prevents use of TLS 1.2

Maciej Soltysiak maciej at soltysiak.com
Fri May 9 18:12:00 UTC 2014

Hi,

It's my first post in tor ml, hope it's the right place to write this.

I am using the latest TBB. The default setting for the maximum version
of TLS (comming from Firefox) is TLS 1.0 (security.tls.version.max =
1)

ssllabs.com tests would confirm the result:

TLS 1.2 No
TLS 1.1 No
TLS 1.0 Yes
SSL 3 Yes
SSL 2 No

That's not very good, considering we're aiming for the top notch
security here. When I set security.tls.version.max = 3 (meaning try to
negotate TLS 1.2 first) I got:

TLS 1.2 Yes
TLS 1.1 Yes
TLS 1.0 Yes
SSL 3 Yes
SSL 2 No

Test it out yourselves.
Anyway, I would like to propose we make TBB have
security.tls.vesion.max=3 to make use of TLS 1.2

Best regards,
Maciej Soltysiak