[tor-dev] Hidden Service Scaling

Christopher Baines cbaines8 at gmail.com
Tue May 6 21:17:37 UTC 2014

On 06/05/14 22:07, Christopher Baines wrote:
> On 06/05/14 15:29, Michael Rogers wrote:
>> I'm interested in your work because the hidden service protocol
>> doesn't seem to perform very well for hidden services running on
>> mobile devices, which frequently lose network connectivity. I wonder
>> if the situation can be improved by choosing introduction points
>> deterministically.
>
> Unfortunately, I don't really see how anything I have done could have
> helped with this. Assuming that the mobile device has maintained
> connectivity during the connection phase, and you now have the 6 hop
> circuit through the RP, the behaviour from then on is unchanged, and
> this is where I assume the problems with loosing connectivity occur?

Right, attempt two, I think I may have misinterpreted what you said. The
above response relates to client behaviour for hidden services. Am I
correct in saying that you actually mean hosting the hidden service from
a mobile device?

If so, then yes. When I implemented the deterministic selection of
introduction points, I had to implement a reconnection mechanism to
ensure that the introduction point would only be changed if it had
failed, and not in the case of intermittent network issues (the degree
to which I have actually done this might vary).