[tor-dev] GSoC Project: A Lightweight Censorship Analyzer for Tor

Jacob H. Haven jacob at jhaven.me
Fri May 2 01:13:24 UTC 2014

Hi Everyone,

I'm a student completing my Bachelor's degree in Computer Science at
Stanford. This summer I'm going to be working with Tor for Google Summer of
Code 2014. I'll be packaging a tool to allow non-technical users to monitor
censorship of Tor occurring in their country/network

My project based on Phillip Winter's paper "Towards a Censorship Analyser
for Tor" <http://www.cs.kau.se/philwint/pdf/foci2013.pdf> [1], and design
requirements described in [2]. My main goals being to:

   - Implement a number of tests using OONI [3] Including reachability to
   directory authorities, the torproject.org, bridges.torproject.org
    and relays
   - Bundle tests into small binary that is easy to distribute and run
   - With user's consent, transmit (anonymized) data back to Tor Project
   - Leave no trace of use on user machine after tool removal. Obfuscate
   network traffic to attempt to hide analysis.
   - Produce user-friendly output so non-technical users gain better
   understanding of why Tor connections failing and perhaps possible remedies

I'll be on IRC as jhaven, as QuicksilverJohny on
GitHub<https://github.com/QuicksilverJohny>,
and available via email at jacob at jhaven.me.

Thanks to Philipp (phw) and Art (hellais) for helping me as mentors over
the summer!

[1] http://www.cs.kau.se/philwint/pdf/foci2013.pdf
[2]
https://research.torproject.org/techreports/censorship-analysis-tool-2013-02-06.pdf