[tor-dev] Announcing OnionPy, a Python wrapper for OnionOO

Karsten Loesing karsten at torproject.org
Mon Mar 31 07:25:34 UTC 2014

On 30/03/14 22:52, Lukas Erlacher wrote:
> Hello,
>
> this will most likely only be interesting to the people working on the tor-weather rewrite.
> I have started work on a Python wrapper for OnionOO with support for transparently caching OnionOO replies in memcached.
>
> It is hosted on github for now: https://github.com/duk3luk3/onion-py
>
> Please let me know if you have any thoughts on it!

Neat!

My first thought is that the best way to evaluate and improve such a
library is to write an actual application using it.

You're right that the weather rewrite people might find it useful and
give you some good feedback.  And even though that rewrite project has
become quieter, there are still people working on it.  But I'm not sure
if you'll get the feedback you're hoping for right now.  Maybe in a
couple of weeks?

Another fine application to evaluate your library could be the "new
little tool that fetches Onionoo documents once (or twice) per day for
all relays participating in the relay challenge and that produces graph
data."

https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-relays/2014-March/004172.html

Would you be interested in writing such a tool, maybe using OnionPy?
(If so, please also say so on tor-relays@ where that thread started.)

All the best,
Karsten