[tor-dev] Starting work on hidden services

Christopher Baines mail at cbaines.net
Fri Mar 28 00:43:35 UTC 2014

On 27/03/14 22:14, Qingping Hou wrote:
> On 03/27/2014 03:36 PM, Christopher Baines wrote:
>> On 27/03/14 19:25, Helder Ribeiro wrote:
>>> Great! Do you know what kinds of things are most useful to measure first?
>>> Is it more useful at this point to:
>>> 1. measure time spent on functions within a process, to see if there's
>>> anything taking up too much time, for example, at the hidden service's OP
>>> during the handshake; or
>>> 2. simulate load on a hidden service and see how request response time
>>> climbs with number of clients, etc.?
>>
>> I have locally a modified version of chutney that is a bit more
>> extensible and have some configuration for it to do Hidden Service
>> stuff. If you bug me in a couple of days, I could make it public, and
>> talk you through using it.
>>

> It would be awesome if you push it to upstream so everyone can use it :)

A discussion about the aims of chutney needs to take place before this
can even be considered, as I am not aware how my changes fit within the
wider goals of the project (if any exist). While the modifications fit
my use cases, it probably breaks the way in which others use it.

I think that the changes I have made might be beneficial, hence the
"make it public", however they are a bit to rushed and rough to be
obviously the right direction (at least from my perspective).