[tor-dev] Starting work on hidden services

Helder Ribeiro helder at discor.de
Thu Mar 27 19:25:11 UTC 2014

Hi Qingping, thanks for the help! Answer below:

On Tue, Mar 25, 2014 at 2:44 AM, Qingping Hou <dave2008713 at gmail.com> wrote:

> If you decided to work on profiling hidden service, I would suggest you
> take a
> look at chutney[1] and shadow[2]. Torperf is not under active maintenance
> anymore and it can be easily replaced by chutney.

Thanks for the pointers. I'm still not very clear on what each of shadow,
chutney, experimentor, torperf or even oprofile should be used for. I'm
guessing chutney/oprofile (maybe toperf, originally, too?) are more useful
for profiling processes, with less control over what happens in the
network, and shadow/experimentor are more useful for network-level
simulation. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

> A fully automated hidden service profiling tool will be very handy. As the
> community is currently designing next generation hidden service protocol,
> such
> tool will help developers evaluate different designs and implementations.

Great! Do you know what kinds of things are most useful to measure first?
Is it more useful at this point to:
1. measure time spent on functions within a process, to see if there's
anything taking up too much time, for example, at the hidden service's OP
during the handshake; or
2. simulate load on a hidden service and see how request response time
climbs with number of clients, etc.?

Thanks!

Cheers,
Helder