[tor-dev] GSoC 2014 : Rewrite Tor Weather

Karsten Loesing karsten at torproject.org
Sat Mar 22 11:00:40 UTC 2014

On 21/03/14 17:37, Sreenatha Bhatlapenumarthi wrote:
>> Hi Sreenatha!  Glad to hear you're interested in Tor Weather!
>>
>> Just a quick reminder about GSoC: the student application deadline is
>> really soon, in like four days or so from now.  Be sure to get your
>> application in by the deadline!
>
> Done. Updated proposal on melange[0].

Thanks!

>> Not sure what other advice you're looking for.  Do you have any specific
>> questions?
>
> Is the proposal and/or timeline detailed enough?

On first sight, yes!

> Did I miss anything regarding the required project work?

I didn't miss anything.  But I'm only doing my first iteration over
proposals, so I might have more questions later.  Will post on Melange.

> I am somewhat at a loss regarding the list of tickets to be closed as a
> part of the project. Obviously, I'll try to fix them all if possible but
> I'd much rather focus on a set of high priority tickets. Can you suggest
> any?

The "weather-rewrite" tickets are most important.  I don't know about
the priority of remaining tickets yet.  They're probably all lower
priority than the rewrite-related ones.  Also, closing a ticket may also
happen by not fixing anything, because things have become irrelevant.  I
hope that this will be the case for some of them.

>> Thanks for working on Weather!
>
> My pleasure.

Speaking of, the most convincing argument you could make to support your
proposal would be a fully working #9889 script.  We receive quite a few
mails from relay operators who are surprised that they have been offered
a t-shirt.  It would be pretty cool to give the donations@ people an
easy way to check which of the criteria are met and to what extent.  And
we're almost there with your #9889 script!  (We'll probably want to send
operators a t-shirt anyway, because it's our fault if Weather is broken
and promises them one.  But knowing how broken it is might help us
understand how quickly we need to fix it.)

Thanks!

All the best,
Karsten