[tor-dev] GSoC - Search Engine for Hidden services

Juha Nurmi juha.nurmi at ahmia.fi
Mon Mar 17 15:51:58 UTC 2014

On 17.03.2014 15:17, George Kadianakis wrote:
> But now that you don't have a "Search API" project, what are you
> going to do during the Globaleaks integration?

The search API was supposed to be a query API to the ahmia's database.
However, this is not a relevant feature at the moment.

> Also, are you sure that 1-3 workdays are sufficient to design &
> implement a banned domain synchronizer between tor2web and ahmia?

Well, I cannot know that. Let's put one workweek for that. I am hoping
to spend a workday or two with Tor2web and we get it done.

> BTW, you are supposed to do your application in Google Melange,
> not in this mailing list (although I'm happy you posted your app
> here so that more people can comment on it!). The website is:
> https://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/homepage/google/gsoc2014 The
> deadline is in 4 days or so, I think.

Sure!

> PS: Nitpick but I should exercise my allergy to broken crypto and
> suggest to switch to a better hash algorithm (SHA256 or so) instead
> of MD5 for passing banned domain names around.

The reason we are publishing MD5sums of the banned domains is that in
some countries it is illegal to own or host a list of CP URLs. Anyway,
if someone is looking for CP .onions he will find them... However, I
do not see any reason why we couldn't together with Tor2web change to
a better hash algorithm.

-Juha