[tor-dev] Torbirdy

mujnabed sol mujnabed at gmail.com
Sun Mar 16 14:26:13 UTC 2014

Hello everyone,

I'm in my final year of B.E in Electronics & Instrumentation Engineer and
M.Sc in Mathematics from BITS Pilani, India.
I was hoping to get a chance to work with the Tor community through this
years GSOC. I was reading the projects list and was interested in
contributing to the Torbirdy project as I have some experience in coding in
Javascript.

I wanted to clarify my understanding of the current status of the project.
The project requires resolving two issues related to location anonymity
weakening due to local timestamp leakage specifically in the MessageID &
Date header fields.

>From reading issues #6314, #6315 mentioned and the patch requests submitted
for bugs #902573 and #902580 at bugzilla.mozilla.org, It seems that the
current hold up by Mozilla to accepting the patch request are:
1. Establishing how well Thunderbird & other mail clients handle the date
not being inserted by the sender in the mail header
2. Finding which MTA/MSA's automatically insert date headers on their own
and if most/all don't, finding a workaround to that. Gmai, Mail.com, Gmx,
Yandex and the now dead Lavabit had been tested successfully for automatic
date header insertion
3. And using extension hooks with explicit calls instead of checking user
set configurations flags for removing timestamp data from header. This it's
suggested will allow better handling of messages received/sent in the
background by Thunderbird.

If someone can let me know if this is the current status of the project or
if there are some details I'm missing or even if I've completely missed the
point it would be great.

Thanks and sorry for the longish mail