[tor-dev] GSoC - Tor pluggable transports project

quinn jarrell quinnjarr at gmail.com
Fri Mar 14 20:56:32 UTC 2014

Hi Tor Devs,
I'm a computer engineering undergrad at University of Illinois
Urbana-Champaign. I am interested in working on a GSoC pluggable transports
project.
I mainly code in python or common lisp and have worked with asynchronous
programming before (albeit it was a java framework not twisted).
The two projects I am interested in are the pluggable transports combiner
or building the CBR transport plugin.

I really like the idea of the transport combiner but I have a few questions
about how far along the design/implementation is. I noticed that there is a
prototype called obfs-flash proxy and am wondering if I would work on
extending that to work with other plugins or if I would work on a separate
combiner. Is the design set in stone yet or is the spec for it still
shifting? And if the spec is still shifting, how should I address that in
my GSoC proposal.

I also talked with Yawning in IRC who pointed me to the CBR transport
plugin/unix like plugins to change data length/obfuscate data/add noise. I
love the idea that with the combiner a CBR transport could be easily added
to any existing transport but if the combiner has not been built/the spec
is still developing, I wonder how useful it would be. Also the CBR plugin
does not seem to be enough work for a GSoC project but I could definitely
be underestimating the difficulty.

I would like to work on either of these projects but I do not know which
one would be the more helpful/necessary so i would love to hear your
opinions on which would be better to work on.

Thanks,
Quinn