[tor-dev] A few questions about defenses against particular attacks

Tom Ritter tom at ritter.vg
Fri Mar 14 06:05:35 UTC 2014

Hi Yuhao!

Some of the things Tor does (e.g. public list of nodes) is because
it's relatively easy to attack if you try and not do it that way.  For
example:

On 13 March 2014 15:08, Yuhao Dong <yd2dong at uwaterloo.ca> wrote:
>       - No public list of all node addresses; this makes determining
>       whether certain traffic is Oor traffic much harder. More at the next
>       bulletpoint
>    - Blanket blacklist attacks by censors. Censors can poll the directory
>    and block all ordinary Tor nodes. (obfsproxy) bridges are a workaround.
>       - Oor's directory maintains a *graph* of all nodes. Each node knows
>       the public keys of all the other nodes, but each node only knows the
>       addresses of *adjacent* nodes.

An attacker could enumerate all exit nodes by simply building lots of
circuits and connecting to a website they control, noting the origin
IPs.

Similarly, I'm assuming you're allowing users to run nodes, in which
case I can stand up node after node (or keep generating new node
identities) and record the addresses of the nodes I am connected to.

I'm also assuming there is some central directory in the middle that
nodes connect to and provide their identity key and address?  And then
when you start up a node, it will give you your 'neighboring' nodes?

-tom