[tor-dev] GoSC - Website Fingerprinting project

Yawning Angel yawning at schwanenlied.me
Wed Mar 12 21:06:12 UTC 2014

On Wed, 12 Mar 2014 16:25:20 -0400
Roger Dingledine <arma at mit.edu> wrote:

> It seems like some of the approaches would best be done inside Tor (as
> modifications to the Tor program), and some of them would best be done
> in a separate pluggable transport? Or should they all be done in a PT?
> Can the bandwidth shaping in Scramblesuit (obfsproxy) be used as a
> building block here?

This depends on what all wants to be tested.  Basing it off
ScrambleSuit would pull in a lot of code that's probably unnecessary.
If it were me doing this, I would write a simple transport that has
hooks for adjusting the packet size/inter packet timing.

Assuming a basic familiarity with python (bonus points for Twisted),
this would be about an afternoon worth of code (if that), and from
there real development on different padding strategies could be
researched.

Regards,

--
Yawning Angel