[tor-dev] GSoC 2014: Continue the torouter project ... ?

keeser at hm.edu keeser at hm.edu
Wed Mar 12 13:23:09 UTC 2014

Hi, my name is Benjamin Keeser. I am a student of computer science (master of software engineering) from Munich, Germany. I support and work in different social movements against suppression and control since many years. Consequently I am interested in the Tor project. Actually I am working with some others from different political media collectives on an book how to protect  oneself from total digital surveillance. We already discussed the idea of a router which tunnels all the traffic over Tor. My guidelines in this case were the onion pi project and the freedombox. By chance I realized that there is already a similar project under your maintaince (and I hope this mail is not  to late). But there wasn´t any activity since 16 months. What is the reason? Are you planning to continue the project? In our work of making computers of people a little bit safer it would make really sense to have a router which protects users via Tor and also filters recognizable parameters via privoxy. I discussed this point also, because I don´t see a similar project in the near future (the freedombox project also appears not to make this pogress in the next time - which is although a reason for the router project).

In my case I would also combine the router project (GSoC) with my master´s thesis. And my plan is to do a PhD afterwards. So would there be a possibility to give the project a new chance. What do think about this idea?

These are some thoughts about the implementation / further development

- stable core features
- dont´t reinvent the wheel: there are already some reusable features in tails/freedombox  (e.g. dns handling, network filter)
- debian hardening / openwrt
- implementation of privoxy to obtain a not recognizable fingerprint.

- future: modular system (email-server, file space, webspace, ***relay***), web interface

Best regards,
Benjamin Keeser

public-key
gpg --recv-keys 3B874A206875DC1A (hkp://keys.gnupg.net)
http://http-keys.gnupg.net/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x3B874A206875DC1A