[tor-dev] globe compass integration

Sathyanarayanan Gunasekaran gsathya at gatech.edu
Wed Mar 5 18:04:21 UTC 2014

Hi Karsten,

On Wed, Mar 5, 2014 at 2:50 AM, Karsten Loesing <karsten at torproject.org> wrote:
> Hi Christian, Sathya,
>
> On 05/03/14 01:39, Sathyanarayanan Gunasekaran wrote:
>>
>> Why? Do we want to deprecate onionoo?
>
> Christian and I discussed this in private mail before moving this thread
> to tor-dev at .  This bullet point should have said "Add support for new
> Onionoo features to Globe", or something like that.  Examples are vote
> details (#9778), bridge user graphs (#10331), monthly stats per
> relay/bridge (#11041), list of transports (#11052), etc.  These are all
> fine things to add to Globe, and maybe it's fine to mention them in the
> second half of a GSoC proposal.  But they all depend on the Onionoo guy
> to write code first, so a Globe GSoC project shouldn't depend on them.

Ah, makes sense.

>> Is this going to be part of globe-node? I don't think there is a need
>> to rewrite the Compass backend(the logic) -- it exposes a REST API
>> which can just be consumed by Globe. Majority of the open Compass
>> tickets are bugs in the frontend.
>
> This sounds like a fine idea to integrate Compass into Globe very
> quickly and ask for user feedback early in the process.  Agile!

Yep :)

> But in the long term I suggest we move the grouping logic of Compass to
> Globe and decomission Compass.  Reasons:
>  - that's one tool less to maintain, and Christian seems to be more of a
> JavaScript person, not Python (IIRC);

I'm just worried that we've spent so much time looking into the tricky
bits of logic/code that I don't want to throw that away. But if it
makes sense to rewrite it then that's fine too :)

>  - Globe is going to be client-server soon in order to remove the need
> for JavaScript in the browser, and then it's only a small step to do the
> same things that Compass does right now;

I see. I'm fine with that. I just don't want the client side node to
download all the Onionoo data and parse it.

>  - Onionoo's search functionality is kinda hard to extend, so it would
> be better if Globe did its own search based on locally cached documents.

Agreed.

>> Yes. Bonus points if you can leverage the data provided by Compass for
>> some nice graphs like heat maps (based on probability) or something
>> like that.
>
> I think that's something for the metrics website, not for Globe.
> Onionoo and Globe are meant to provide status information on relays or
> bridges, whereas the metrics website provides aggregate data covering
> the entire Tor network.  There are exceptions like the bubble graphs
> (https://metrics.torproject.org/bubbles.html) which use Onionoo's data,
> but in theory those should be implemented in the metrics website only.
> So, I'd say let's not mix scopes here, and let's not try to do too much
> in a single summer.

Makes sense. I just didn't think just adding the Compass to Globe
would be enough for a GSoC project. From our conversation on IRC, it
looks like there are other things that need to be incorporated into
Globe which could be done as part of this GSoC project.

>>> Do you have other ideas on how to improve globe?
>>
>> 1) Add the Compass frontend to Globe
>> 2) Refactor the Compass UI -- I don't think the current compass UI is
>> intuitive enough and could be extended to display more information in
>> a nicer way.
>> 3) Add visualizations and graphs based on Compass data
>
> Looks like these ideas are already discussed above, unless I'm
> overlooking something?

Yeah, you're right.

Thanks,
--Sathya