[tor-dev] globe compass integration

Christian me at rndm.de
Tue Mar 4 19:28:53 UTC 2014

Hi,
in the last couple of days I thought about a topic for a gsoc application.

After getting ideas from Karsten and Sathya, I started making a rough
roadmap of things that I want to do for globe, in the next couple of
months (and maybe use it as a idea for a gsoc topic).

- add new onionoo features to globe
- add compass functionality + open compass tickets to globe
- improve/add help documentation

The central point would be to add compass functionality to globe.
This has the advantage that the user can use the same application to
search for relay/bridge details and do queries with grouped results.

This could be accomplished by changing the UI and modify advanced search
filters, add options for grouping and grouped search results.
Another suggestion was to add a group detail page that displays
aggregated data for multiple details.

Currently compass pulls all onionoo relay details and queries them locally.
Karsten suggested that globe could use the same method and load the
onionoo data every hour or so and do the currently supported search and
compass functionality on it.
The idea is that globe could store the dump in a db (e.g. mongodb) and
use its features for searching, grouping and aggregating data.

This would be a major rewrite away from calling the Onionoo-API, to
querying the locally available dump.

I would like to know, if you think that integrating Compass into globe
would be a good idea?
Do you think that the compass integration would be a reasonable project
for the gsoc?
Do you have other ideas on how to improve globe?

Thanks,
Christian