[tor-dev] Tor HS DHT Research

Gareth Owen gareth.owen at port.ac.uk
Mon Mar 3 14:02:16 UTC 2014

Dear all

Sorry if this is the wrong list (please tell me if it is).

I'm undertaking research into the tor HS DHT and have a couple of
questions.  I know at present, a node must be on for 25 hours to
participate in the DHT; however, periodically I wish to make small code
changes to Tor and restart the node (aka fairly instantly/within minutes)
but this causes me to lose the HSDir flag.  So my questions are:

1) Is there anyway to restart Tor without losing the HSDir flag?
2) Is uptime self reporting - e.g. is a node's self reported uptime trusted
or is it obtained elsewhere - I couldn't find the answer in the code.  I
guess what I'm getting at, is can I fake the uptime to get the HSDir flag?

Best
Gareth

---
Dr Gareth Owen