[tor-dev] Shutting down relay-search service shrinks metrics database by almost 97%

Karsten Loesing karsten at torproject.org
Sun Jun 15 19:45:07 UTC 2014

Hi devs,

I have been planning to shut down the relay-search service, that was
part of the metrics website, for about half a year, and now it's gone:

https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-dev/2013-December/005948.html

https://metrics.torproject.org/relay-search.html

It was a good service.  The main reason for shutting it down was that it
required us to keep a full database of relays.  And the Tor network has
grown quite a bit over time.

Now that the service is gone I was finally able to clean up the metrics
database.  Here are some numbers from before and after the cleanup with
all sizes being rounded GiB:

 table        | before | after
--------------+----------------
 bwhist       |     13 |     0
 descriptor   |      6 |     0
 dirreq_stats |     10 |     0
 statusentry  |     67 |     2
 total        |     95 |     3

So, 92 of 95 GiB are gone, simply because we don't need that data
anymore.  That's much more than I had expected.  Almost 97%!

Just in case, and I'm going to watch over this, too: if the metrics
website shows you funny numbers in the next couple of days, please let
me know.

All the best,
Karsten