[tor-dev] Proposal for improving social incentives for relay operators

Lukas Erlacher tor at lerlacher.de
Wed Jun 11 16:52:59 UTC 2014

Hi,

On 06/10/2014 02:26 AM, Virgil Griffith wrote:
> I propose establishing a subdomain on torproject.org <http://torproject.org> giving each Tor relay operator (hereafter affectionately called "Torati") his/her own page using the information her machines provide to the Tor Directory Consensus.  The fields to show on her "Torati profile page" would be things like: ContactInfo, PGP fingerprint, list of server nicknames, date the Directory Authorities first saw her contact info, etc.  You can also imagine a receiving special "special recognition stars" for operating an exit or bridge node.  Moreover, some bandwidth measurement like EigenSpeed or TorCoin gain traction, the Torati page could recognize contributors with by listing the sum total she has relayed to the Tor network.

I like this idea, and I've toyed with similar things in my head before.

A quick technical note - this seems like a perfect usecase for the OnionOO service. You may want to look at the design of the tor-weather-rewrite that is currently being worked on:

- https://github.com/meejah/tor-weather
- https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/doc/weather-in-2014

Best,
Luke