[tor-dev] Python ExoneraTor

Karsten Loesing karsten at torproject.org
Tue Jun 10 16:34:21 UTC 2014

On 10/06/14 18:14, Damian Johnson wrote:
>> ... including searches for other IPv4 addresses in the same
>> /24 and other IPv6 addresses in the same /48.
>
> Ahhh. *That* would indeed make this a lot more of a pita. ExoneraTor
> gives no indication that it accepts /24 or /48 ranges. Is that
> capability even used by visitors?

ExoneraTor doesn't indicate that, but if a search for a certain IP
address returns no results it looks up nearby addresses.

Example: search for 37.130.227.132 (.133 is TorLand1)

Result:

"""
We did not find IP address 37.130.227.132 in any of the relay or exit
lists that were published between 2014-06-09 and 2014-06-11.

The following other IP addresses of Tor relays in the same /24 network
were found in relay and/or exit lists around the time that could be
related to IP address 37.130.227.132:

    37.130.227.133
    37.130.227.134
"""

Now, I can't say whether users would expect that or do anything with
those "nearby addresses".  I found it possibly useful when I wrote the
service.  But I'm not at all a usability expert. ;)

All the best,
Karsten