[tor-dev] Python ExoneraTor

Karsten Loesing karsten at torproject.org
Mon Jun 9 07:04:06 UTC 2014

On 09/06/14 00:03, Damian Johnson wrote:
> Hi Karsten. This is diving into enough detail that we might as well move this
> over to tor-dev at . For the list's benefit, Karsten and I are discussing a
> Python rewrite of ExoneraTor...
>
>   https://exonerator.torproject.org/
>   https://gitweb.torproject.org/exonerator.git

Hi Damian.  Sure, moving this to the list is a fine idea.

> First I think I need to take a step back to figure out exactly what we're
> after. From a quick peek at ExoneraTor it looks like it behaves as follows...
>
>   a. User enters an address (IPv4 or IPv6) and a date (either for a day or an
>      hour).
>
>   b. ExoneraTor lists router status entries for all relays that match the
>      criteria. These entries link to the consensus they came from and server
>      descriptors they reference.
>
>   c. The user can then enter a destination address and port to search exit
>      policies in TorDNSEL entres.
>
> Step 'a' and 'b' make sense to me. Step 'c' however I'm having a little
> difficulty groking. Ignoring TorDNSEL entries for a moment, we already have
> all the ingredients to provide the user with three fields to start with...
>
>   * Source Address (required)
>   * Timestamp (required)
>   * Destination Address and/or Port (optional)
>
> The source address and timestamp come from the consensus, and an optional
> 'can it exit to destination X' consults the server descriptor's exit policy.
>
> So what is TorDNSEL providing us and why is it a separate search on the page?
> As I understand it the value of TorDNSEL is that we can't trust the address in
> the router status entries. If that's the case then our present search fields
> don't make sense to me...
>
>   * Our initial search consults consensus information for the address and
>     timestamp but not the exit policy. This is weird both because the address
>     this has is faulty, and we have the exit policy so we could trivially
>     include that in our search criteria.
>
>   * Our second search gives the impression that we're using the earlier
>     consensus results to query exit criteria from TorDNSEL. As I understand
>     it though that's not what it's doing. TorDNSEL is completely independent
>     from the consensus information.
>
> I could understand a search that just consults consensus information (ignoring
> address accuracy, it has everything we need). I could also understand a search
> that just consults TorDNSEL information (ignoring its inconsistent poll rate,
> it has everything we need).
>
> However, this hybrid approach and how it's presented really confuses me.
> Unless I'm mistaken with something above what I'd expect from ExoneraTor is...
>
>   * The three search fields mentioned above.
>
>   * It shows results based on the consensus information like we presently do.
>
>   * If we have TorDNSEL entries that either indicate that a relay we're
>     presenting had a different external address or another relay had the
>     address we're searching for then note that.
>
> That is to say, the base search is based on consensus information (using
> server descriptor exit policies if we want to filter by that), and the
> TorDNSEL results are just appended notes since we can't rely on its poll rate.
>
> Thoughts?

Your description above is not entirely correct.  Here's how ExoneraTor
works with regard to consensuses and TorDNSEL exit lists:

 - In step 1 it tells you whether an IP address was contained in a
consensus _or_ TorDNSEL exit list on a given date or at a given time on
that date.

 - In step 2 it can tell you whether the relay with that IP address
could have exited to another IP address and port.

That being said, I think that step 1 is what people care a lot more
about than step 2.  Most people probably don't know exactly what step 2
does.  And with IPv6, relays don't even include full exit policies in
their descriptors that we could use to say whether a relay could have
exited to a given IP address and port.

So, I'm open to discuss whether we should leave out step 2 in the
rewrite and only focus on step 1.

> Cheers! -Damian
>
> PS. Congratulations on getting me invested. I just spent the last three hours
> in front of a whiteboard trying to puzzle out why ExoneraTor works the way it
> presently does. ;)

Hooray! :)

> PPS. Stem's ExitPolicy class has a can_eixt_to() method that would be really
> handy for this...
>
>   https://stem.torproject.org/api/exit_policy.html#stem.exit_policy.ExitPolicy.can_exit_to

See above.  Maybe we don't need this at all.

> PPPS. I'm still hesitant about actually tackling this project. Arm is midway
> through being rewritten, and considering its sudden uptick in usage probably
> the most important project on my plate right now.
>
> That said, I'm happy to discuss this. Even if we don't implement it right now
> this thread will be useful so we know where we're going with ticket #8260.
>
> Concerning the earlier discussion of 'work with Karsten on a python project'
> I have a personal bias toward collaborating when the project has few unknowns
> for me, but working alone when *I'm* learning something. That is to say, I'd
> love to work with you on a straightforward Stem project and I'd also like
> to discuss ExoneraTor's design. But when it comes to coding, this has enough
> unknowns that if I take it on I'd prefer to experiment alone for a while - at
> least until I know enough about the APIs involved that I can avoid
> embarrassing myself. :)

How about we work on an ExoneraTor design document, to start with?  The
step-2 thing above is not the only open design question.  Another open
question is how accurately users can provide the date or datetime.  Are
they aware that all data are in UTC?  Should we err on the safe side and
include network statuses published _after_ the timestamp the user tells
us (#3232)?

But, first replying to your other email, because a searchable descriptor
archive is indeed useful, too.

All the best,
Karsten