[tor-dev] UX Idea - A controller inside TBB

Matthew Finkel matthew.finkel at gmail.com
Tue Jul 29 14:13:46 UTC 2014

On Tue, Jul 29, 2014 at 09:38:55AM -0400, Mark Smith wrote:
> On 7/29/14, 9:31 AM, Matthew Finkel wrote:
> >Did you start working on this again? Having something like this
> >is actually really important. It would be awesome to get this
> >functionality in Tor Browser again. Nima's design looks really
> >good. I think a lot of people would be happy to see something
> >like that.
> >
> >Do you think this should be based on bulb or should it start
> >from scratch? I looked at doing this about a month ago and
> >considered adding it directly into TorButton. Maybe it is better
> >to use Python/Stem for the backend. Thoughts?
>
> Just so others are aware:  Arthur is actively working on this ticket:
>
> "Create Browser UI indication for current circuit status and exit IP"

Thanks Mark! Arthur's mockup looks great. Combining his work with the
ability to read the log in real-time would be awesome. I know these
are distinct tickets, but if both functionality could land in TorButton
at approximately the same time (very soon :)), it will help a lot.

Maybe the "easy" way to do this will be to work on a simple log reader,
that is integrated into TorButton, and then if another, fancier thing
materializes, then all the better. (yes, I will start looking at this
again because "if I don't, how can I expect others will?"). If anyone
feels like hacking on this, then you're probably a better candidate
than me :)