[tor-dev] Email Bridge Distributor Interactive Commands

isis isis at torproject.org
Fri Jul 25 22:19:40 UTC 2014

Yawning Angel transcribed 2.9K bytes:
> On Fri, 25 Jul 2014 13:25:31 +0200
> Lunar <lunar at torproject.org> wrote:
>
> > isis:
> > >
> > > Obfs3 is also "broken", it's just that we haven't yet seen a DPI
> > > box do it IRL. If you want me to only hand out the holy grail, I'm
> > > never going to hand anything out.
> >
> > The holy grail will never exist, indeed. I fail too see why this would
> > be a reason to continue giving out solutions that are known to be bad
> > when they have suitable replacement.
>
> For what it's worth, the official plan is to kill off obfs2 once we
> figure out how we want to handle deprecating old transports.

Thanks, I was looking for that one. :)

> Personally I think when we deploy the next round of transports (meek,
> and either ScrambleSuit or obfs4) would be the right time to revisit
> this, and I can't think of a good reason to keep obfs2 around beyond
> "there are bridges that only support obfs2" which is a fairly terrible
> reason keep distributing the protocol to new users.

Scramblesuit is "deployed", if you ask me... We've got roughly 2221
scramblesuit supporting bridges.

> My other objection to the idea a while back was that Orbot only
> supported obfs2, but that's been fixed for a while now.

So... I'm going to wait for an update from the Huggable Transport folks,
telling me to phase out obfsXYZ, whenever that happens. Until then, obfs3 is
still the default transport distributed.

Does this sound okay to everyone? Otherwise you're shoving me back into the
hell where I get yelled at if I don't make a unilateral decision, and also get
yelled at if I do make a decision. It's kind of annoying to get yelled at all
the time. :(

- --
 ♥Ⓐ isis agora lovecruft
GPG: 4096R/A3ADB67A2CDB8B35