[tor-dev] What are some aspects of Tor that are suffering right now due to lack of speed?

Roger Dingledine arma at mit.edu
Fri Jul 25 03:18:50 UTC 2014

On Fri, Jul 25, 2014 at 04:10:50AM +0100, Virgil Griffith wrote:
> Hidden services quickly come to mind.
>
> Are there other candidates?  I can imagine people deciding not to view
> certain content through Tor because of speed (e.g., pornhub).  But I
> suspect I am missing some use cases.

Hi Virgil,

Threads like this one will do better on tor-talk. Tor dev is about
developing Tor, not the place you go to talk about your topic because
the developers are there.

(Several people have pointed this out to me from previous threads, so
I'm taking the opportunity to actually say it on this one.)

And to add a bit of content here, long ago I maintained
https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/org/roadmaps/Tor/Performance
but then I was wearing too many hats so it fell by the wayside.

More recently I revived it into
http://freehaven.net/~arma/tor-performance-outline.txt
but then the same thing happened.

In my copious free time I'd like to write the "why else is Tor slow"
document, to follow the first one. Other fires are burning higher
lately though.

--Roger