[tor-dev] Email Bridge Distributor Interactive Commands

Noel David Torres Taño envite at rolamasao.org
Thu Jul 24 10:25:20 UTC 2014

El jue, 24-07-2014 a las 06:54 +0000, Nima Fatemi escribió:
> isis:
> [...]
> >> Are some of our least technical users, many of whom have never even seen a
> >> command line before and who may live in Sub-Saharan Africa or one of the
> >> Stan countries with only a rudimentary knowledge of English going to
> >> understand the difference between vanilla bridges and, say, chocolate almond
> >> bridges? Wouldn't it be better to choose terms that at least translate into
> >> something resembling what they actually mean?
> >
> > Noted. What to call bridges without any pluggable transports has been argued
> > about for years, with the result that everyone ended up calling them different
> > things all over the place, which I believe is worse.
> >
> > Eventually, everyone figured out what "obfsproxy" meant, even if they didn't
> > understand how it worked, nor how to pronounce it. My hope is that a
> > consistent usage of consistently confusing and untranslatable terminology will
> > eventually produce predictable and steadily decreasing levels of user
> > confusion.
> >
> > Should the interface say "get transport unhuggable", perhaps? The obvious
> > choices were:
> >
> >  1. `get tor bridges` / `get transport tor`
> >          This is no good because it could potentially cause users to
> >      erroneously think that pluggable transport bridges somehow aren't using
> >      tor.
> >
> >  2. `get plain bridges`
> >          I think this one is bad because people might assume that this one is
> >      somehow plaintext, especially if the string were to be translated.
> >
> > Do you have a better suggestion for what to call "vanilla bridges"?
> >

> I think "bridges" works just fine for "vanilla bridges" and I want to
> take the opportunity to +1 Philipp's idea on looking for keywords
> instead of commands, regardless of how they're phrased.

There is a word that is quite similar in spanish (all Latin America),
english (a lot of places) and french (almost all Africa): "simple".

We can use the term "simple bridges" to mean those bridges with no extra
complications, no extra technology, no extra security... no chocolate
nor almonds.

My two (euro) cents

Noel
er Envite