[tor-dev] Proposal for improving social incentives for relay operators

Roger Dingledine arma at mit.edu
Tue Jul 22 16:20:48 UTC 2014

On Tue, Jul 22, 2014 at 02:19:27PM +0300, George Kadianakis wrote:
> Here are some ideas on various achievements/badges that could be
> awarded to relay operators (in no particular order):
>
> - You earned a flag (fast/hsdir/stable/named/exit)!
> - Your uptime is over 9000 (seconds/days/months)!
> - You are part of a family!
> - You have the contact field set!
>   - With PGP!
>   - With a BTC address!
> - You are part of an organization (torservers/etc.)!
> - You are in an exotic location! (not many relays there)
> - You have IPv6 enabled!
> - You are running an experimental Tor version!
> - You are a bridge with many clients from China!
> - You are an obfsbridge!
>
> You can imagine more special achievements, like:
>
> - You were around during event X! (arab spring, etc.)
> - You were the top guard during event X!
> - You were the first big relay ever in Lithuania!
> - You were in the top 10 exits.
> - You survived an hour of anarchy! (awarded when the authorities fail
>                                     to establish a consensus for an hour)
> etc.

Wow. Nice ideas. I'm a fan, if somebody wants to make this happen.

One point that you might trip over if you move this forward: you will
eventually wish you had implemented proposal 230
https://gitweb.torproject.org/torspec.git/blob/HEAD:/proposals/230-rsa1024-relay-id-migration.txt
or something like it, else relays with many cool badges might be reluctant
to discard their identity keys next time we get hit by something like
Heartbleed.

--Roger