[tor-dev] Email Bridge Distributor Interactive Commands

Matthew Finkel matthew.finkel at gmail.com
Sun Jul 20 18:52:44 UTC 2014

Hi everyone,

A short time ago BridgeDB learned how to accept some more commands via
email[0]. Below is an example of the current help/overview autoresponse
email[1] that users receive (in English, we do have translations).

These commands may not be optimal, so we'd love to be given feedback on
this so we can improve it. Currently, with the recent changes, we
require all commands begin with 'get' and then we check which keyword
follows it ('bridges', 'transport', 'help', 'key', etc). This certainly
makes the parsing logic easy (and I am a fan of KISS), but it may be
true that this is a bit too strict and decreases its usability. Would
it be better if we were more lax? For example, instead of requiring:

    'get transport <TYPE>'

we change this to:

    '[[get] transport] <TYPE>'

Therefore the 'get' and 'transport' keywords are optional (and 'get' is
only used if you use 'transport'). <TYPE> is the pluggable tranport
method name you want the bridges to support.

I think this simplifies the user interaction but I don't know if it's
significant and to what extent most users care about this. It should
be mentioned that prior to the recent changes, sending a blank email
to bridges at bridges.torproject.org was equivilent to sending an email
that contained 'get bridges' because we didn't actually check for
'get bridges' at all, we do this now, though.

So, the questions I am posing to those in the community who has an
opinion about this: What do you think? What problems do you currently
have with this?  How can this be improved?

Thanks!
Matt

[0] https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/7550

[1]