[tor-dev] help with minimal Tor build for Shadow

Rob Jansen rob.g.jansen at nrl.navy.mil
Fri Jul 11 21:17:14 UTC 2014

Hi,

Shadow uses CMake and a custom build process to build the Tor source files into a shadow-plugin (using Clang/LLVM and a custom pass). However, because my CMake build file is not smart enough to know how to turn orconfig.h.in into orconfig.h, I still have to run Tor through autotools first (and then build again with Clang). I’m hoping to eliminate at least parts of the Tor configure/make build process.

Shadow for sure needs orconfig.h to exist, and I presume ./autogen.sh and ./configure is the best way to generate that. Does anyone know of a faster approach? (I’d like to avoid adding the rules to my CMakeLists.txt file, as it will be hard to keep up with Tor’s upstream changes to its Makefile.in.)

However, still missing after the configure is at least or_sha1.i, and possibly other files. Presumably these are generated when running make (after configure). My custom Clang build fails without them. Is there a special make target in Tor that generates these “helper” files without building the entire Tor binary? If not, should/can there be?

All the best,
Rob