[tor-dev] Torspec proposal for adding new X- fields to relay descriptor

grarpamp grarpamp at gmail.com
Thu Jul 3 17:04:40 UTC 2014

On Thu, Jul 3, 2014 at 6:13 AM, Virgil Griffith <i at virgil.gr> wrote:
> https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/3308162/ExtraRelayDescriptorFields.txt
> Fulltext below.  Comments appreciated.
> Title: Adding new X- fields to relay descriptor
> Author: Virgil Griffith, Nick Mathewson

> 1. Motivation
> We wish to allow developers to build new applications atop relays. Towards
> this
> end, we wish to add the ability for users to specify arbitrary new key-value
> entries under the "X-" namespace.
> For example:
> X-bitcoin 19mP9FKrXqL46Si58pHdhGKow88SUPy1V8
> X-gravatar https://s.gravatar.com/avatar/d27fce46c9ac41a41bb52455ae75701d
> X-nameid virgil.gr
> X-favoritequote Be excellent to each other.  Party on dudes!

I remember posting about bastardizing the contact field for
things like this that others had mentioned. Thanks for putting
a more formal idea out.

You probably want to move the existing 'contact' to 'X-contact' too.
Perhaps also for any non strictly required to operate stuff like nickname,
and OS version string (which to the extent it is useful to the project
might be a non overridable auto populated k-v pair).

Removing the spaces from fingerprint would be nice and save
bandwidth too. You'd need dual parsing for one revision period.